Friday, May 23, 2008

TRAFFIC

And just who have been my fellow companions on the road? From camels to black bears chained onto the back of a donkey led cart and distressed goats atop the bus roof, their ears flapping at full speed...I have shared this road with every beast and wheel imaginable.
Tuc-tucs bright with colourful paintings, inside which I can never get over the novelty of the amount of mirrored reflections blending my face with coloured decorations.



Donkeys bright with orange henna, moving slow with heavy loads. Donkeys beaten under wooden sticks, donkeys bedecked with clown like flowers yet their treatment is nothing to smile about...


Men on colourful, flower bedecked bikes, trailing me trying to get my phone number whilst the moped boys cruise alongside staring. Boys with large battery attachments proudly wheel their loud radio bikes down the road.

And the busses....those unbelievable works of art on wheels. Sometimes it is impossible to see what lies beneath this colourful explosion hurtling towards me at full speed. Metal flowers, birds, women and all manner of conceviable decor turn the road into an amusement arcade.

This is how they look.....

and this is how they sound....!

3 comments:

yael said...

I am reading your adventures and tea stories from Peshawar while drinking mint tea in Israel, it's such a pleasure to read you and to watch your beautiful pictures (I love the one of the bus sound)... continue to cycle safely and happily!

yolanda caƱardo said...

Hello dear princess Sara. It's Yolanda from Kopan. I read your adventure is waiting to continuos next year and you're in home now, I'm happy to see you're ok and your travel was a nice experience for you.
I hope to see you in Scotland or wherever. I'm already in Barcelona at the moment, you know my house is open to you.
My "om mani padme om" leafe from you is in my altar.
I hope you'll have a very nice life. Very big, big kiss
Yolanda

Unknown said...

Dear Sara,
after months I have found my way onto your amazing and beautiful blogspot. This story really is so incredibly amazing. Keep pedaling, God has the handlebars.
Love Matt (from the reiki course in Kathmandu :)